Riding Skills Level 4
- Tack up your horse/pony correctly and safely without assistance.
- Lead your horse/pony to the arena, check the girth and stirrups and then mount.
- Gradually warm up your horse/pony in preparation for work.
- Show that you know when your horse is ready to start working.
- Know why it is useful to be able to ride without stirrups and demonstrate on both reins at walk and in trot, showing circles and turns in both paces as directed by the assessor. Retake stirrups at halt.
- Describe what we mean by diagonals when trotting.
- Explain the correct aids for trot to canter and canter to trot transitions.
- Know the order in which your pony/horse's hooves meet the arena surface in canter and show an understanding of the sequence of legs in canter on left and right reins.
- Ride in sitting and light seat in trot as directed by the assessor.
- Ride Level 4 Dressage Assessment A (may be called). Click test title to download.
- Demonstrate that you can safely jump a course of four fences of maximum height 50cm (uprights only). OR
- Ride Level 4 Dressage Assessment B (may be called). Click test title to download.
- Walk up and down a steep slope.
- Trot up and down a moderate slope.
Stable Skills Level 4
- Describe the safe way to catch a horse/pony when it is in the field.
- Discuss three things you should check when you have brought a horse/pony in from the field.
- On a horse/pony that is tacked up ready to ride, point to the brow band, nose band and throat lash on the bridle and show how to check if they are correctly fitted.
- Name three different type of noseband.
- Point to and name three points on a horse/pony.
- Show how to safely pick up and clean all four feet of a horse/pony.
- Know how to untack a horse/pony and what to do once you have removed saddle and bridle.
- Demonstrate how to muck out a stable with straw or shavings bedding.
Equestrian Experience Level 4
- Ride on a trek that includes a canter and trotting through water.
- Visit a show where horses compete either in hand or in ridden classes.