Riding Skills Level 5
- Describe and demonstrate some warming up methods for horse and rider.
- Show the difference between a 'long' rein and a 'loose' rein in walk.
- Show how to change a dressage whip from one hand to the other whilst riding in trot.
- Show the correct use of both the short whip and the dressage whip.
- Ride without stirrups for a figure of eight in trot and then for a short canter
- Describe what we mean by riding on the correct leg in canter and show that you know when your pony/horse is on the correct leg.
- Ride in a balanced light seat in walk, trot and canter.
- Discuss the use of and show that you know how to ride over ground poles.
- Ride Level 5 Dressage Assessment A (may be called). Click test title to download.
- Demonstrate that you can safely jump a course of six fences of maximum height 60cm (with oxers/spreads). OR
- Ride Level 5 Dressage Assessment B (may be called). Click test title to download.
- Trot up and walk back down a steep slope.
- Canter up and down a gentle slope.
Stable Skills Level 5
- Know how to check a pony that is out at pasture.
- Recognize, name and describe two poisonous plants.
- Discuss the horse's method of communication and observe different horses' reactions to other horses.
- Recognize and name three types of bedding and discuss their use with the assessor.
- Know what the signs of illness are in a pony.
- Demonstrate how to clean a pony ready for work.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how horses and ponies are measured and describe the units of measure known as hands.
- Show a knowledge of general foot care in the horse and the importance of regular foot care by the farrier.
- Show how to put a rug on a horse/pony.
- Put on a tail bandage and discuss the importance of doing this correctly with the assessor.
Equestrian Experience Level 5
- Ride at the front of a trek following instructions from the trek leader.
- Participate in a bareback ride either riding free or lead if necessary.