Riding Skills Level 3
Pony or horse will be tacked up ready for the test. Assessments at Level 3 and above may include riding in a small group.
- Safely collect your horse/pony from stable under supervision but unassisted.
- Show how to safely get your horse ready for riding lessons.
- Mount from the ground on the near side.
- Show how to check your girth on either side once mounted.
- Demonstrate how to carry the whip correctly.
- Know the safe distance to ride in single file and explain why you need to keep a safe distance between ponies in the arena.
- Ride in single file, show that you know the safe riding rules of the school.
- On command, leave the ride, turn across the arena and change the rein.
- Show that you can ride independently of the other riders.
- Lead the ride in circles, rein changes and figures as directed by the assessor.
- Describe the order in which your pony's hooves meet the arena surface in walk and trot.
- Walk up and down a moderate slope.
- Trot up and down a gentle slope.
- Under supervision, but unassisted, safely return your horse/pony to stable and untack.
- Discuss the checks that you should complete after riding and before leaving your pony.
Stable Skills Level 3
- Put a head collar on a horse/pony and show how the lead rope is attached.
- Explain why we need to put shoes on horses and ponies.
- Use a hoof pick to clean out your pony/horse's feet and explain why you need to do this.
- Explain why we use a quick release knot when tying up horses and ponies.
- Show how to tie up a horse/pony with a quick release knot.
- Pick out a dandy brush from a selection of brushes and demonstrate how and where to use it.
- Show how to remove a head collar and hang it up correctly.
- Know some things that might frighten a pony and describe how we handle ponies and horses safely.
Equestrian Experience Level 3
- Ride on a trek that includes trotting and a walk through water.
- Take part in a pony games competition.