Riding Skills Level 2
Pony or horse will be tacked up ready for the test and assistance may be given with the adjustment of girth and stirrups.
- Check the girth and stirrups from the ground.
- Mount from a mounting block.
- Check the girth and stirrups from the saddle at the halt.
- Take the reins correctly in both hands.
- On both reins in walk ride straight lines and circles as directed by the assessor.
- Ride a walk-halt-walk transition, halting for about 5 seconds.
- Tell the assessor the correct aids to ride from walk to trot and trot to walk.
- Demonstrate the correct aids and change from walk to trot.
- Demonstrate rising trot including left and right turns as directed.
- Demonstrate sitting trot including left and right turns as directed.
- Demonstrate the correct aids and change from trot to walk.
- Walk up and down a gentle slope.
- Explain to the assessor how you change position on your pony when riding up or down slopes.
- Tell the assessor how you use the whip correctly.
- Dismount safely, take your pony back to the stable and leave him safe and ready for the next rider.
Stable Skills Level 2
- Know some dangers to be aware of when leading in hand.
- Tell the assessor some of the things that you should check in the stable.
- Describe when a pony should have water and how to check that the stable drinkers are working correctly.
- Demonstrate how to feed your pony a treat safely.
- Describe how to let your pony know it has done well.
- Tell the assessor some reasons why we should always keep the stable yard clean and tidy.
- Tell the assessor two things a pony eats.
- Tell the assessor three different body colours of ponies in your stable yard.
- Tell the assessor who you should call if your pony is injured or unwell.
Equestrian Experience Level 2
- Ride on a trek or hack unassisted, including a short trot.